Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable

Received for review
Paperback: 320 pages

  • Publisher: Chicken House; 1 edition (4 Oct 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1908435348
  • ISBN-13: 978-1908435347
  • Alone in the world, Sophie dreams of being someone special, but she could never have imagined this. 

    On a school trip to Russia, Sophie and her two friends find themselves on the wrong train. They are rescued by the beautiful Princess Anna Volkonskaya, who takes them to her winter palace and mesmerises them with stories of lost diamonds and a tragic past. But as night falls and wolves prowl, Sophie discovers more than dreams in the crumbling palace of secrets.
Cover: This has a very pretty cover.  A gorgeous shade of purple with shiny silver, and purple edges makes this one of the most beautiful books on my shelf.

This is the perfect book for fans of fairytale-esque reads and a great choice for a winter read with a lot of snow and a tad of magic thrown in.
Sophie is an orphan, her guardian ignores her, and Sophie longs to go to Russia.  When she gets her wish and goes on a school trip, she may have more adventure than she bargained for.

I loved the setting for this book.  Russia's gorgeous winter backdrop and the dilapidated palace really gave this book a beautiful atmosphere.

The overall plot reminded me of The Little Princess meets Cinderella.  

My only issues were that I was never really hooked.  I never got to the point where I couldn't put it down.  Although this is probably not a reflection on the book, but rather my age as I'm 20, but I think this is a perfect read for 10+ readers.

Also, Sophie while incredibly sweet, was so slow to grasp what was going on. There were a ridiculous amount of hints but she misses them all.  This was so frustrating.

Overall I did enjoy The Wolf Princess, it was a sweet little read and I do recommend giving a try.
3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment