Friday 26 December 2014

My True Love Gave To Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

    22914373
  • Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books (9 Oct 2014)
  • Language: Unknown
  • ISBN-10: 144727279X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1447272793


On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories set during the festive period, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. The stories are filled with the magic of first love and the magic of the holidays.





Cover: The design of this book is fantastic.  A gorgeous tiffany blue with vibrant pink edges to the pages.  It's stunning and I don't own anything else quite like it.

I was excited for this one as I'm always looking for Christmas themed books this time of year, and this short story anthology seemed like the perfect romantic, fluffy read- and I recognised a few authors names that I had read before, Stephanie Perkins, Rainbow Rowell and Myra McEntire, as well as my all time favourite author, Laini Taylor.
And I was surprised by just how slow I found this book!
I thought, being 12 short, romantic reads that I would simply blaze through it.  But I really didn't enjoy some of the stories- so I feel that probably dragged it down a little.

I struggled with a few.
Angels in the Snow, Polaris is Where You'll Find Me, Kraumpslauf.

I loved, Midnights, What the Hell Have You Done Sophie Roth, Welcome to Christmas CA, and of course The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer.

Overall, the stories I liked were fantastic.
But they almost had a shadow cast over them by the others.

The stand out story for me was definitely The Girl Who Woke The Dreamer by Laini Taylor.

The book overall I rate 3/5 stars.  But I've also rated each one of the stories individually.

"Midnights" by Rainbow Rowell 4/5 stars

"The Lady and the Fox" by Kelly Link 4/5stars

"Angels in the Snow" by Matt De La Peña 2/5 stars

"Polaris is Where You’ll Find Me" by Jenny Han 2/5 stars

"It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown" by Stephanie Perkins 4/5 stars

"Your Temporary Santa" by David Levithan 1.5/5 stars

"Krampuslauf" by Holly Black 2/5 stars

"What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?" by Gayle Forman 4.5/5 stars

"Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus" by Myra McEntire 3.5/5 stars

"Welcome to Christmas, CA" by Kiersten White 4/5 stars

"Star of Bethlehem" by Ally Carter 4.5/5 stars

"The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer" by Laini Taylor
5/5 stars

Read from December 07 to 14, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment