Monday 8 August 2016

The Viscount Who Loved by (Bridgertons #2) by Julia Quinn

Format: Kindle Edition
Print Length: 400 pages
Publisher: Avon (28 April 2015)
ASIN: B00UG8RP22

1814 promises to be another eventful season, but not, This Author believes, for Anthony Bridgerton, London's most elusive bachelor, who has shown no indication that he plans to marry. And in all truth, why should he? When it comes to playing the consummate rake, nobody does it better...
--Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, April 1814

But this time the gossip columnists have it wrong. Anthony Bridgerton hasn't just decided to marry--he's even chosen a wife! The only obstacle is his intended's older sister, Kate Sheffield--the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom. The spirited schemer is driving Anthony mad with her determination to stop the betrothal, but when he closes his eyes at night, Kate's the woman haunting his increasingly erotic dreams...
Contrary to popular belief, Kate is quite sure that reformed rakes to not make the best husbands--and Anthony Bridgerton is the most wicked rogue of them all. Kate's determined to protect her sister--but she fears her own heart is vulnerable. And when Anthony's lips touch hers, she's suddenly afraid she might not be able to resist the reprehensible rake herself...
 
 
Cover:  There a few different covers for this book.  Fairly typical Regency Romance cover- nothing about it screamed ‘Read Me’ which is probably why it’s taken me such a long time to actually getting round to reading a Julia Quinn novel.

I’ve never read a Julia Quinn novel before, and I don’t really know why.  I would call myself a huge fan of Regency Romance.  I think because there are so many Regency novels out there, it’s easy to get lost in a sea of them.  I was aware of Julia Quinn, but I didn’t really know where to start really.
One day I was looking for some new Regency Romance authors to try, because I’d finished reading The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean- one of my favourite Regency Romance authors, and I was craving something similar.  So I Googled ‘Best Regency Romance Authors’, Which lead me to a list featuring ‘Julia Quinn’, which lead me to a top 5 list of someone favourite Julia Quinn books.  Long winded I know.
But at number one on that list was The Viscount Who Loved Me.  And even though it’s number 2 in a series, I decided to give it a go.
And I’m so glad that I did.  I loved it.
Anthony has decided that it’s time for him to get married and produce an heir.  He’s convinced, that like his father, he will die young.  So he wants to avoid romantic complications such as loving his wife.  He wants to marry someone he gets on well enough with, but not someone he’ll fall in love with. 
He decides on the Season’s belle of the ball Edwina. 
There’s one complication- Edwina’s older sister Kate.
Kate is a strong willed lady.  And she steadfastly guards her sister against Rake’s.  And the Viscount is definitely a Rake. 
With each interaction the banter and chemistry builds between them.  I loved their arguments.
Maybe the Viscount is as risk of falling in love after all.
This book was exactly my kind of read.  I absolutely fell in love with it.  I loved the quirky banter, it made me smile while reading it.
I didn’t feel that not reading the first book really mattered an awful lot as the story stands by itself, but I will definitely be going back and picking up the first book.  I will be picking up more Julia Quinn novels that’s for sure.
It’s nice to read another Regency Romance with substance to it, I feel an obsession coming on.
 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment