Thursday 14 July 2011

Immortal: Love Stories With Bite Anthology



  • Publisher: Ben Bella (1 Sep 2009)
  • Paperback: 280 pages
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 9781933771922
  • ISBN-13: 978-1933771922
Rachel Caine (the Morganville Vampires series) revisits the setting of her popular series, where the vampires are in charge and love is a risky endeavor, even when it comes to your own family.
Cynthia Leitich Smith (Tantalize) gives us a love triangle between a vampire, a ghost and a human girl, in which none of them are who or what they seem.
Claudia Gray (Evernight) takes us into the world of her Evernight series, in which a pre–Civil War courtesan-to-be is courted by a pale, fair-haired man whose attentions are too dangerous to spurn, in more ways than one.
Richelle Mead (the Vampire Academy series) brings us the tale of a young vampire on the run from the rest of her kind, and the human boy who provides the getaway car, as well as a reason to keep running.
Nancy Holder (the Wicked series, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”) immerses us in a post-apocalyptic New York where two best friends are forced to make a choice that may kill them both
Kristin Cast (the House of Night series) introduces us to a new kind of vampire: one with roots in Greek mythology, and the power to alter space and time to save the girl he's meant to love.
Rachel Vincent (the Soul Screamers series) explores a new corner of her series with the story of aleanan sidhe capable of inspiring the musician she loves to new creative heights, or draining him, and his talent, dry.
And Tanith Lee (Black Unicorn) shows us what happens when a bright young woman with some supernatural savvy encounters a misguided (but gorgeous) young vampire.

8 popular paranormal authors provided editor P.C. Cast with a short story, each own with their own take on vampires.

Cover: Pretty standard paranormal romance cover...nothing particularly exciting.

Each story is different and I found some to be much better than others.

I enjoyed Rachel Caine's Dead Man Stalking the most out of the anthology because it takes place in her Morganville Vampires Series which I'm currently reading and loving but also it's in Shane point of view, when she normally writes in Claire's so it was great to see events from Shane's perspective because he is one of my fav characters and it showed of her personality.  

I didn't enjoy Cynthia Leitich Smith's Haunted Love because of both her writing style and I felt that the romance fell short.


Claudia Gray's Free was on Okay read but I don' understand why it was included in this anthology because sure it had a vampire but it was not a romantic story and therefore I didn't enjoy it.


My second favourite story in this anthology was Richelle Mead's Blue Moon.  I thought the plot was well developed and thought out.  The romance could have done with being a bit more believable but I still really enjoyed it.  


Nancy Holder's Changed had so much potential, combining a post-apocalyptic world with vampires, but I found it really lacked drama or suspense and was just a bit dull.


Kristin Cast's Amber Smoke was a perfect short story for me because it combines paranormal vampires with Greek mythology-both of which I love, and I think Kristin did a great job of doing that but it was rushed, some parts needed more description and explaining and the 'romance' definitely needed more of a build up.  Overall it was a great plot, but it just needed more developing.  


I really liked Rachel Vincent's Binge up until the end.  The end totally killed the romance for me and ruined the entire story.


I actually really liked Tanith Lee's Table Manners, while I thought there could be less description at the beginning to allow for more romantic development between the two main characters the overall plot was good and enjoyable.


Rating: 2.5/5 stars.  I really liked a couple of the stories but for me the others let it down, but it was worth it for me just for Rachel Caine's story.  I would recommend this for anyone who is a fan of any of the eight authors that contributed to this anthology, but if you're looking for solid paranormal romance this isn't it.













No comments:

Post a Comment