Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa


  • Received for review.
  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Mira Ink (21 Oct 2011)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0778304795
  • ISBN-13: 978-0778304791

In less than twenty four hours, I'll be seventeen. Although, technically, I won't actually be turning seventeen. I've been in the Nevernever too long. When you're in Faery, you don't age. So while a year has passed in the real world, agewise I'm probably only a few days older than when I went in. In real life, I've changed so much I don't even recognize myself. My name is Meghan Chase. I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it. This time, there will be no turning back.

Thanks for Mira Ink for sending this to me for review.

Cover: This cover doesn't disappoint in the looks department.  Again another stunning cover- perfect for the beauty of the world of Fey.

Plot: Meghan and Ash have been exiled by Summer and Winter...but the Iron Fey are not done with them.  A false king sits on the Iron Throne, determined to destroy the oldbloods.  It's up to Meghan, Ash and Puck (with a little help from Grimalkin) to stop him.

So I wasn't overly thrilled with the first two books but I was told by many fellow reviewers to stick with it because it gets better.  And it did!  I actually felt The Iron Queen was  moving plotwise and had more depth to it, whereas I felt The Iron King and The Iron Daughter were slow and never really gripped me but with The Iron Queen I couldn't put it down as it was much better paced and actually managed to keep me reading.  Plus there was more Ash in this book which is the best thing about it hands down.  I still didn't warm to Meghan and I don't think I ever will.  I can just about tolerate her now- but why Ash and Puck love her I will never know. 
It definitely made me want to read the next book The Iron Knight which is in Ash's perspective (the end of The Iron Queen is in his point of view which I LOVED- favourite part of the book) and as I think my main issue with the series so far is that I don't like Meghan and it's in her perspective I can't wait to check out The Iron Knight as I'm sure it will be my favourite of the series.
Overall I'm glad I stuck with the series...it may not be my favourite but it's still a good read and has managed to get me into faery books whereas no other book has managed to.
I would rate The Iron Queen 4.5/5 stars because I felt it really stepped up from the first two books and got me excited for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment