Monday 21 November 2011

The Z Word by Bella Street



  • Received from author
    • Paperback: 334 pages
    • Publisher: CreateSpace (June 5, 2011)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 1463567626
    • ISBN-13: 978-1463567620

The Z Word follows Seffy Carter and her longtime friends Gareth, Addison and Lani. The four besties share a past dysfunctional and dark enough to keep them bound together under do-over identities. But rends develop in their relationships from the flesh-eating pressures of ending up in 1980, in a Montana desert, surrounded by zombies wearing dated disco duds.



A huge thanks to Bella Street for sending this to me!


Cover: I really like this cover, everything is significant.  Girl on the front IS how I picture Seffy and the pink sun plays a part.  It took me AGES to spot the zombies at the bottom...I really didn't see them.  Fail for me there.


Plot: Seffy and her friends, Garreth, Lani and Addison had their normal lives in L.A. an then one moment everything changes.  A mysterious blast knocks them into 1980's Montana and into a desert full of zombies and a fight to survive.


I didn't know what to expect with this book.  I adored Bella Street's Kiss Me I'm Irish but I'd not read a zombie or post apocalyptic book before but I really enjoyed it.  What made this book for me was the writing, it's so witty that I found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion.  I'd describe this book as quirky...it's perfect if you're looking for something different, I have not read anything like this before.
Sometimes the characters frustrated me.  Seffy's constant denial grated on my nerves after a while.  Addision's seemingly pointless bitchiness (which I'm sure will be covered in book 2) which we don't find out about.
I really don't know where this series is going to go, which is great.  I'm looking forward to the surprises of finding out why they've been sent back and how, how the zombies came about and also they're past- why did they leave Montana and why is Seffy so distressed at being back there?
Plus there is so much potential for love interests here, I really don't know how that's going to play out- Seffy has a thing for Garreth but there are two other potential love interests, despite the romance not being the focal point of the book which was nice.  It flowed really quickly.  I never got bored.
I would give this book 4/5 stars.  It really drew me in and I can't wait to get stuck into book 2 The X Factor soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read The Z Word and for your kind review, Erin! I always love your reviews in general and have picked up many titles based on your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete