Sunday 18 March 2012

The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss

Received for review



  • Hardcover: 82 pages
  • Publisher: Quirk Books (20 Jan 2012)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 159474551X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1594745515



When Evelyn Morgan walks into Thorne and Son, a bookstore in the Cornish village of Clews, she doesn't know that she's going to meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne sells her a medieval poem called "The Book of the Green Knight", he doesn't know that it will shape his future. After that first meeting, they don't see one another for years - and yet they never stop thinking about one another. It's as if they're the haunted lovers in the old book itself...



A huge thanks to Quirk Books for sending me this for review!


Cover:  This book has a seriously beautiful cover.  The book itself is a stunning and unique artifact that belongs in any book lovers collection.  I have never seen accordion book binding before, and I found it rather fascinating!
As you all know I am a huge sucker for romance, so this book really appealed to me.  I felt that the plot had so much premise but the characters seriously irritated me, Evelyn more so.  The way she kept running away frustrated me, and I felt like that they did both love each other but their stupid decisions ruined everything (whether this is the result of a real curse is unclear but still!).
However I did love the serendipitous moments of them meeting again, and the overall plot but I really didn't like the ending. I wanted a solid answer of will they be together, and while the ending is hopeful I don't know.
I loved that both characters told their story, which with the accordion binding was a genius idea!  You read the book from start to finish one way and it's Evelyn's perspective.  Turn it over, do the same and it's Brendan's story!
So for me I had to take a few points away for an irritating character, a disappointing end to an otherwise beautiful story, so for me it's a 3.5/5 stars.  I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for something short, sweet and that little bit different.  Theodora Goss has written a beautiful story that readers will devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment