Tuesday 28 August 2012

Between The Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

  • Received for review
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton (5 July 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1444740962
  • ISBN-13: 978-1444740967
  • What happens when happily ever after... isn’t?

    Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

    And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

    Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.
  • Cover:  I love the cover to this book!  Perfect for the story and just beautiful to look at, it's much nicer in person than what comes across on screen.
I've never read a Jodi Picoult book before- her adult contemporary books are not in a genre or about subjects that I would normally read about, but her first YA novel co-written with her daughter, sounded far more my thing...and it was.
It definitely appealed.  Delilah, an avid reader that becomes obsessed with one book, re-reading it over and over.  Sound familiar?  It did to me.  Describing a character I could relate to, I knew I would have to check it out and I'm sure a lot of book lovers have felt the same way.
The book itself is beautifully presented- a gorgeous purple hardcover, stunning illustrations and I loved the use of different coloured inks- black for the fairytale book itself that Delilah is obsessed with, Purple for Oliver, the fairytale Prince's POV and finally green for Delilah's POV. 
I definitely recommend checking this book out. It's such a sweet read, and the structure, design and over all premise make it awesome. Think Disney's Toy Story of the book world...
Even though it's co-written the writing is seamless and you can't tell.  I ploughed through this book in no time.
I think this book will be enjoyed by people of all ages, if you love fairytales it's one not to miss.
My only complaint is that I felt the end was hurried.  You wait almost 400 pages for one particular thing to happen, and then it does and 'poof' it's over. For me I wanted more than that.  
But other than that it was the perfect read. 4/5 stars.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment