Hardcover: 448 pages
- Publisher: Atom (17 July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1907411763
- ISBN-13: 978-1907411762
- Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.
The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.
But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.
- Cover: Stunning! Just look at that gorgeous cover! I love the relevant fairytale images- Rapunzel's tower, the big bad wolf, the beanstalk, a castle etc etc. The perfect cover for this book- just how the Land of Stories is described.
- I devoured this book! I'm not normally a middle-grade reader but this really intrigued me and the beautiful cover made up my mind that I had to check it out.
- I love fairytales, like many readers I grew up on them and were my first taste of storytelling. Chris Colfer has really captured the feel of fairytales in this book. Alex and Connor fall into The Land of Stories and come across so many familiar characters- we all know their stories, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Red Riding Hood - the list goes on. But we get to see what has happened to them after the 'happily ever after' and the turn of the last page in their story- Cinderella is an expectant mother, Sleeping Beauty is having trouble keeping her subjects awake and Goldilocks is a wanted fugitive! Chris Colfer didn't go half measures with this book- not one of two fairytales, but rather it was brimming with them! He knows his fairytales and his love for them came across in his writing.
- The plot was there as well! Alex and Conner must collect a list of items to be able to use 'The Wishing Spell' so they can wish to go home- leading to adventure and mayhem.
- There's also an element of mystery- I did guess it but then I am 20 years old and so not this book's primary target audience.
- I highly recommend this book. It's a must read for middle-grade fans, fans of adventure reads or simply for those who enjoy fairytales. Anyone of any age, this book has a little of everything for everyone. If you are sometimes put off books written by celebrities, don't be put off this- Chris Colfer is a very talented writer and I savored every word.
- 5/5 stars! Cannot wait for the next book.