Monday 7 October 2013

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

  • Paperback: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Entangled (8 May 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1620610078
  • Starting over sucks.

    When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

    And then he opened his mouth.

    Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

    The hot alien living next door marks me.

    You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

    If I don't kill him first, that is.

Cover: With my favourite colour being green- I was automatically going to be drawn to this cover...but then along with the swoonworthy cover model that is a perfect match for Daemon, makes it an awesome cover.

Ahh...the hype around this series is phenomenal- I have legitimately not heard a single bad thing about it.  So that was a lot of high expectations- and because of them the first three books have been sat on my bookshelf for over a year.
But I'm pleased to report I freaking loved it.
I blazed through this...I would have got through it in just a day if I didn't have work.  But even with work I got through it in just over two days- it was that fast paced.
I loved everything about this book.
The plot...yes you can draw similarities to Twilight.  New girl moves from sunny city to small/quiet town, strange but extremely good looking family in town, life saved in seemingly impossible way and the discovery that they're not human (SPOILER: THAT'S NOT A SPOILER).  But it's not alone in this comparison.
So on paper it could have been a disaster.  But OMG...it was just fantastic.  Jennifer Armentrout really pulled it off.  Everything flowed so well, I was totally engrossed and didn't want to put it down.  I resented every interruption to my reading...yes that includes work.
The characters were also brilliant.  Everyone 'felt' different.  No cookie cutter characters unless they were supposed to be stereotypical.
I loved Katy.  I loved that she was unashamedly nerdy.   Her love of books and book blogging/vlogging made her instantly relatable.  She was just so likable.  I also enjoyed the references to 'Waiting on Wednesday' and In My Mailbox posts.
Daemon.  Oh Daemon.  Arrogant.  Sexy.  Funny.  Did I say sexy already?  I'm just about ready to have his babies.  He's become one of my favourite fictional heroes.  Plus I TOTALLY LOVED the extras at the end of the book of three of the chapters in his POV.  
His sister Dee is just so adorable.  She's just so bright and bubbly!
Over all, I'm sure everyone has read this by now, but if you haven't you must.  It's become a new favourite of mine and I can't wait to get started on book 2 as I can't wait to see how this series develops!
5/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment