Sunday 13 October 2013

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [Movie Thoughts!]

I've heard a lot of mixed things about the movie- from both fans of the books and from movie critics- but of course- being a fan of the books myself, I was going to check out the movie, even if with every movie adaptation I'm equal parts excitement and hesitation.
But I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I tried to clear my mind of the book as much as possible, and just go into it like I would any other film.
I loved Jace.  I was unsure when Jamie Campbell Bower was cast, but he was really good!  The Jace-Wayland quips and humour were so on point, he made me love that character all over again.  
Simon was also well cast.  I liked him a lot.
Wish we saw more of Magnus.  While I didn't think he was well cast, I wished that he had more screen time so that it would have given me the chance to change my opinion.
Valentine was an excellent villain.  Jonathan Rhys Meyers wasn't an obvious choice, and when I heard he would be Valentine, I couldn't really picture it.  But he played a great villain.
Clary was ok for me.  Looks wise I think she was a great match, but the 'breathy' delivery kinda bugged me.
I was definitely hooked and didn't feel the overwhelming sense of disappointment the way I did when I first saw the Twilight or Beautiful Creatures adaptations for the first time.
Soundtrack was really great!
I'm looking forward to watching it again, and to purchasing the DVD.
4.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment