Friday 24 October 2014

Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant

  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Electric Monkey (28 Aug 2014)
  • Language: Unknown
  • ISBN-10: 1405265159
  • ISBN-13: 978-1405265157
I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. 

But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out . . 


Cover:  This cover is amazing in person.  A bright neon red/coral, with striking black pages, and creepy images under the dust jacket.

I've heard so many amazing things about Michael Grant, in particular, his Gone series,  But I had yet to read anything by him.
Then I was just casually browsing the book charts in the Supermarket, and I admit this cover stood out, and made me pick it up.  The creepy, dark synopsis instantly made me think it would be a fantastic read for October, as well as a chance to read something by Michael Grant.
And I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I flew through it, reading it in just two days.  
It was a dark, gruesome and creepy read and it WAS perfect for October.
Mara wakes up with no memories, when Messenger appears and starts showing her horrible things- a girl's suicide, brutal attack etc (think Scrooge and the ghosts of Christmas but way darker.)
Why is he showing her these things?  To teach her to take over his job.
Judging when evil has been done, and what is to be done with them.  Offering them a game.  If they win, they go free, if they lose- they have to face their greatest fear.
The whole concept was amazing.
There was a big twist, that I did guess, but only about 10 pages before it was revealed, and it was GENIUS.  
I was a little confused at points.  The world building I did think could have been stronger.  But the actual plot was sound.
Highly recommend as a Halloween read, but not for younger readers because there is a lot of graphic content that could definitely be considered disturbing and nightmare inducing.
4/5 stars.  I look forward to seeing where this story goes.

Read from October 06 to 07, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment