Monday 31 March 2014

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK (14 Aug 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1471115038
ISBN-13: 978-1471115035

GOOD GIRL
Abby Abernathy doesn't drink or swear and she works hard. Abby believes she has buried her dark past, but when she arrives at college, ger dreams of a new beginning are quickly challenged by the university's walking one-night stand.

BAD BOY
Travis Maddox, sexy, built, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs - and wants - to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight club, and his days as the notorious college Lothario.

IMMINENT DISASTER?
Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain celibate for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in travis's apartment of trh same amount of time.

OR THE START OF SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL?
Either way, TRavis has no idea that he has met his match. Or that this is the start of an obsessive, intense relationship that will lead them both into unimaginable territory.


Cover:  I really like this eye-catching, simple but pretty cover.  Not quite sure of it's relevance, but it's nice.

I have heard a lot about this one.  Both extremely good, and the extremely bad.  There has been a lot of controversy over this book.
And after reading it, I can kind of see both sides.
This was one of the first New Adult books to explode in popularity.  But it's taken me a long time to get to reading it.
New Adult is a genre I discovered last year, and absolutely fell in love with it.  A few stand out authors for me have been J. Lynn, Abbi Glines and Kendall Ryan to name just a few.
This is a difficult one for me to review.
I didn't despise it like some, I'm not moved to write a long rant.
But at the same time, I'm not dying with the need to gush about it either.
What it comes down to is, this book was ok for me.
Were there some parts of the book I loved?  Yes there was.
Were there some parts of the book that disturbed me.  Yes there were some.
Abby and Travis have an intense relationship.  It's pretty dysfunctional.  When they start out as friends, it's great.  But it inevitably leads to more, and that's where their relationship gets a little disturbing.
I feel Travis's possessive attitude was excessive.  Don't get me wrong- I like the male protagonists in my romance books to be strong, and a little cave-man.
My main issue was Abby.  Yes Travis has issues, but I'm closer to forgiving him those, but Abby was irriating.  She's hot, she's cold.  She's indifferent, she's jealous.  She wants Parker, she doesn't want Parker.  She doesn't want Travis, she wants Travis. 
I really just wish she knew her own damn mind.
This book also contained a couple of pet peeves.  And by pet peeves, I mean loathe entirely.
Love triangle.  Other...ummm how shall we say..."partners."
The ending...I'm glad of a HEA, but I didn't feel overly believable.
Over all I enjoyed it, but there have been other NA books I've enjoyed more.  But having said that I would like to read Walking Disaster as I feel I'd enjoy reading from Travis's point of view a lot more than Abby's.
3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment