Sunday 30 March 2014

My Top 10 Influential Books [EXPLAINED]


I recently uploaded a YouTube video called 'My Top 10 Influential Books TAG' and in the tag you basically just had to list them, you weren't required to explain them.  But then I was requested to actually explain how or why they had influenced me.

 Persuasion by Jane Austen- I read Jane Austen when I was 14.  Her writing just spoke to me.  I was already a history fan, but I fell in love with the Regency period, with Jane's characters and her witty style.  She made me consider reading more classics.



Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen- ^ same as above...duh^


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- First classic I read.  I fell in love with Jane, with Mr Rochester.  I feel this definitely influenced me.  My taste in books, movies- my eagerness to pick up classics.


Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine- I've always been a reader, but reading this, I was completely absorbed in the story.  I wanted to do nothing but read this.  I have such fond memories of reading it, of re-reading it.  It made me fall in love with reading all over again.


Twilight by Stephanie Meyer- Twilight completely changed what I read.  Before Twilight, I didn't read much YA- but what I did was mostly contemporary.  I was reading adult historicals, romances and classics.  I hadn't read paranormal/vampire romance, and I just fell in love with it.  I found it addictive.  It opened up a whole new genre for me, and I haven't looked back.


Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren- This was one of those books that I picked up knowing it was my kinda story, but it still managed to knock my socks off.  It has some Christian understones, but it's not heavy in anyway.  I was just glued to it while reading and I just fell in love with the world building, and the characters.  It easily became one of my favourites.


Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery- I had seen various adaptations of Anne of Green Gables over the years, and had loved all of them, but had never picked up the book.  It's such a beautiful children's classic.  It makes you see the world through Anne's eyes, she has such a vibrant imagination, that sometimes gets her into trouble, but you still love, and part of you wants to be her.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green- This was my first experience of John Green's writing, and I'm sure it's popularity hasn't escaped your notice.  This book made me look at the World slightly differently.  It moved me to tears, which is a rare thing in a book for me.


Written In Red by Anne Bishop- This is a more recent read for me, and this influenced me, because it's such a simple read.  There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on, that has captivated me, almost to the point where I'm obsessed with this book and it's taking over my life.


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor- This book had me completely obsessed.  The writing of this book it so beautiful and lyrical, it had me entranced.  It made me want to be able to write like that.


So, those are my top 10, I could easily have chosen more.
What are some of your influential reads?  Let me know if the comments below, as I'm always interested!

- Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment