Sunday 1 June 2014

The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood #12) by J.R. Ward

Received for Review
Hardcover: 592 pages
Publisher: Piatkus (3 April 2014)  
ISBN-13: 978-0749959586

Long live the King...After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father's mantle- with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sits heavily on his head.

As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything - and everyone- at risk.

Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it.

But when she decides she wants a child, she's unprepared for Wrath's response - or the distance it creates between them. The question is, will true love win out...or tortured legacy take over?


Cover:  I like this cover, but I much prefer the US cover.  It just screams Wrath to me.  This does not.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood was one of the first adult, paranormal romance series I read, and the first five books are extremely solid reads.  I love them. 
But then the series started to change- becoming more urban fantasy, and while each book used to be focused on one couple, but then more and more characters were introduced and it became less romance focused.
I have to be honest because of this, I have not read read the last few books in the series.
But I knew, no matter what, I would be picking up The King because it was back to my favourite couple of the series, Wrath and Beth. 
Of course, there was a lot in this book that left me a tad confused because of leaving out a couple of books, but I don't feel it was too bad.
There was a lot I freaking loved about this book.
Wrath and Ana- we got to see blasts from the past with seeing several chapters that were us seeing Wrath's (present day Wrath) parents- how they met, and their story.  And I LOVED that.  The struggles they faced with the court- being mirrored in the present with their son and Beth.
Anything Wrath and Beth was fantastic.  I really enjoyed getting to see more of them.  Seeing more of their relationship and the potential baby! Ahh...so many feels for them.
I enjoyed seeing Xcor and Layla and am looking forward to seeing way more of that.
Sola and Assail- as I hadn't read the previous book, I was a little out of the loop with them, but I still enjoyed their thread, but was disappointed with how it was left- so hope to see that picked up in the next book.
Over all, I'm glad I picked this up.  It definitely rekindled my love for the series.
One thing I didn't like so much, is that the majority of the book is heading towards Wrath and Beth having a baby (that's not a spoiler), but the whole issue and 'complications' are resolved just like that.  I was expecting emotional turmoil, and what I got was a tad of an anticlimax.
Also, Beth seemed to have changed somewhat, her personality and the way she 'thinks' read very differently, her pop culture references severely irritated me.
but still a solid 4.5/5 stars.








No comments:

Post a Comment