Saturday 14 April 2012

Darker After Midnight by Lara Adrian

Paperback: 420 pages
  • Publisher: Robinson (26 Jan 2012)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 1849013764
  • ISBN-13: 978-1849013765
Adult Paranormal Romance
Mightnight Breed Book 10
  • After existing in secret for many centuries, maintaining a fragile peace with the humans who walk beside them, unaware, one single act of retaliation has put the entire vampire nation at risk of discovery. And it falls to the Order - a select society of Breed warriors pledged to protect their own and humankind alike - to stop Dragos, the power-hungry vampire at the centre of the conflict, before his lust for domination can explode into catastrophe. At the centre of the Order's quest is Stirling Chase, a troubled Breed warrior whose biggest conflict is the one he wages against his own savage nature. With addiction beckoning him towards eternal darkness, Chase's path to redemption lies in the hands of a mysterious and beautiful young woman who may be something much more than she seems...
Cover:  I do like the cover, particularly the shade of green but I don't feel the model is a good  match for the protagonist Tavia.  Plus I enjoyed the cover more when the couple was on the cover, not just the woman.  For example:


But books 9 and 10 have changed to just the woman and I'm not as keen on it.  Of course I still like them, but I feel like they just don't match the earlier books in the series which is a shame.

The Midnight Breed series is one of my all time favourite series, and definitely my favourite adult paranormal series, narrowly beating The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward (to anyone that has read both: so  many similarities right?!?!).  I haven't reviewed any of the other books in this series on my blog or youtube channel because I started the series before I started the blog or channel and then it seemed odd to start reviewing them, but I thought about it while reading this book that I should really share one of my favourite series with you.
This book gets 5/5 stars.  As this is book 10 in the series I don't want to spoil this or the previous books for anyone that many want to read them, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have with all the other books.
The romance was great, Chase and Tavia were kindred spirits and worked really well, but I loved that we got to see more of the other couples as well.  Some of my favourite scenes in the book were with Brock and Jenna from book 8.
The end of this book took me totally by surprise.  The result will mean a whole new direction for the Breed and this series and I can't wait to see where this takes us.
I thought perhaps the bringing down of the bad guy was a little quick.  I mean he was kind of an evil genius and then the way he went out was a tad anti-climatic but I still loved it.
Also a tiny thing bugged me.  Through the book it seems the only way to describe a dry throat was to liken it to ash.  I found this repetition slightly irritating.
But really I loved this book.  I love this series.  And I definitely recommend the series as a whole to anyone that has not yet picked it up.  If you love adult paranormal romance or are a fan of J.R. Ward, you will definitely want to check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment