Sunday 16 September 2012

Take Me There by Carolee Dean

  • Paperback: 327 pages
  • Publisher: Simon Pulse; 1 edition (20 July 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1416989501
  • ISBN-13: 978-1416989509
  • Dylan has a bad-boy past and a criminal record. He knows that rich, beautiful Jess is way too good for him—but she has always been the one person who sees through his tough exterior and straight to his heart, and he has been hopelessly in love with her from the first time they met. He would change his life for a chance with her.

    But trouble follows Dylan wherever he goes, and a deadly mistake soon forces him to hit the road and leave his dreams behind. He’s on the run and in search of answers—answers to questions he wishes he’d never asked.
Cover: Love the sweet, romantic cover and the awesome font.

I liked the sound of the over all premise of this book, but it didn't turn out to be what I expected.
To be honest I was left feeling depressed.
Dylan tries so hard to lead an honest life for Jess, but trouble finds him while his 'friend' Wade that causes the trouble gets to live a great life while Dylan loses everything.
I just felt that,OK, while this may be realistic...but where was the justice??  There was none.  And the unfairness just made me feel sick and depressed.
The timeline also bothered me.  It wasn't linear, it jumped back and forth and was just confusing for the first half of the book.
The writing didn't particularly engage me.
However I did enjoy the poetry that Dylan wrote, it was really good and that was the part I liked the most about this book.
The romance was also good, between Dylan and Jess but it just didn't end up the way I wanted it to, which I know is naive and immature but as a reader that's what I wanted, so I felt cheated.  
If I wanted depressing realism I'd have watched the news instead of picking up a YA book. 
Over all this wasn't a bad book, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.
2.5/5 stars- the poetry gave it and extra 0.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment