Monday 17 December 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Harvill Secker; First Edition edition (15 Sep 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 184655523X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1846555237
  • In this mesmerizing debut, a competition between two magicians becomes a star-crossed love story. 
    The circus arrives at night, without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within nocturnal black and white striped tents awaits a unique experience, a feast for the senses, where one can get lost in a maze of clouds, meander through a lush garden made of ice, stand awestruck as a tattooed contortionist folds herself into a small glass box, and gaze in wonderment at an illusionist performing impossible feats of magic. 
    Welcome to Le Cirque des Reves. Beyond the smoke and mirrors, however, a fierce competition is underway - a contest between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood to compete in "a game," in which each must use their powers of illusion to best the other. Unbeknownst to them, this game is a duel to the death, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will.
  • Cover: Both the UK and US covers of this book are not only stunning but relevant as well!  I know I bang on about that a lot but for me, that's an important factor in a cover.  The black and white colour scheme with a burst of red, the circus, the man and woman even down to the umbrella, hat, birds and cards ARE ALL IN THE BOOK.  Beautiful and relevant- the best type of cover.  This has to be one of my all time favourite covers.
  • This book had been sitting on my shelf for over a year!  It's taken me this long to pick it up as a few reviews I'd read commented on the detail of the book, saying it was overly detailed, and the fact that it is an adult fantasy, and not my normal 'go-to' YA I was a little hesitant.
  • But now I regret putting it off for as long as I did!   I felt drawn to pick it up as a fancied reading something 'magical' for this time of year.
  • I loved this book.  The beautiful setting of the circus- dozens of amazingly detailed and different tents from fortune telling and bottled memories to a cloudmaze and grand illusions.  The variations are wonderful and I couldn't wait to read more of them, discovering more and more tents.  I loved that every once in a while there would be a page addressing the reader directly, 'you walk through the tents' etc and it would wonderful!  It was like Erin Morgenstern placed you into the circus and it gave you the depth to experience it yourself.
  • The romance was an aspect I really liked.  I enjoyed both Marco and Celia as characters but felt that I wanted them to interact a little bit more before they were irrevocably in love with each other.  That's my only complaint, otherwise I loved them as a couple.
  • The game between the illusionists was definitely interesting, seeing them come up with elaborate ideas and build on each others work.
  • The only problem is at the end, despite revelations, I just felt 'what was the whole game for?'
  • I have to give The Night Circus 5/5 stars!  I was hooked from the first page!  Every page was sensational and magical and I definitely recommend it to everyone!  It's a must-experience book!
  • Whilst it is an adult book I can see this appealing to many readers of YA.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, the December edition of Books You Loved is open for entries. Here is the link Books You Loved December Edition Please do pop by and link in a post about a book you loved. Maybe this one? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, thanks for linking this in. We are now getting a lovely collection of book links. I have just signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

    Ps If you would like email reminders of future Books You Loved, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, thanks for following Carole's Chatter. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL BLOG....NEW FOLLOWER and NEW E-MAIL SUBSCRIBER.

    So glad I found you on Carole's Chatter.

    Thanks for your post too...my son has read this book, but I have not.

    Stopping by from Carole's December Books I Loved. I am in that list as #4.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm a new follower of your blog :)

      Delete