Monday 22 May 2017

Powerful Magic by Karen Whiddon

Image result for powerful magic karen whiddonPaperback311 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Love Spell
Kenric of Blackstone is tormented. Not entirely human, he cannot live with his past or with that he truly is. When he is needed to help in a battle that could destroy the Earth, it is Megan who gives him strength, Megan whose kisses heal him....

In a strange land and time, it became clear to Megan Potter why she'd been summoned. This wasn't about Faerie prophecies or wizardry, or even a desperate struggle to find her way home. This was a quest to save a man's heart. And for the first time ever, she felt destined to prevail, because with her help she knew this handsome prince could discover the most powerful magic of all—love.



Cover: I can admit it.  I love cheesy romance covers- the whole bodice ripper thing.  It's a weakness of mine.  And I kind like this cover.


I remembered taking this book out of the library when I was younger, maybe 15-16, and devouring it, and for ages I couldn’t remember what it was.  Years later (I’m now 25) after much random search engine entries- I found the book, Powerful Magic by Karen Whiddon.
And re-reading it was an interesting experience.  I remember loving this book, swooning over it and thinking it was amazing.  After the passage of time, and growing up a bit I didn’t hate this book, but I didn’t love it as much this time round.
I found the heroine, Megan to be simpering at times.  There’s a lot of cheesiness, and while I love me some cheesy romance, this didn’t hit me in the same way.
A fair few spelling and grammatical errors in the Kindle edition I read.
The magical elements didn’t seem very expanded on, and the ‘battle’ at the end was a little anti-climatic.

Over all, I enjoyed reading this for the nostalgia.  If I was rating this ages 15, it would have been a 5 star read, now, I would have to go for 2.5.

1 comment: