Thursday 26 September 2013

Booking Through Thursday 26/9/13

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday and a different question is posted every week.

Are “best” and “favorite” the same thing? If someone asked you “What’s the best book you ever read?” would the answer be the same as for “What’s your favorite?”

I think the two are pretty interchangeable.  
Of course 'best' has connotations of the actual quality of the book- we're talking about the standard of writing, plot, etc.
Whereas favourite implies a certain subjectivity.  Just the actual feeling of fondness you have toward that book.
There are a couple of books where the two combine for me- the one that instantly springs to mind is The Fault In Our Stars.  Where not only was the writing impeccable, but the feelings that book evoked carved its place on my bookish heart.
Whereas something like Vanity Fair for example, with its status as a classic piece of literature - while it's writing is suppose to be fantastic- I really didn't enjoy it at all.  So I wouldn't count it as 'best' for me, or anywhere near a favourite.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! My favorite books are not necessarily the "best" but sometimes favorite and best can happen with the same book!

    ReplyDelete