Wednesday 25 September 2013

Run The Game by Jason Myers

  • Paperback: 518 pages
  • Publisher: Simon Pulse (12 Jun 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1442414324
  • ISBN-13: 978-1442414327
In this gritty novel from the author of Exit Here and Dead End, love is a high-priced and dangerous game: Play or be played.Alexander didn’t believe in love at first sight until he met Patti. She’s the kind of girl you hear about in songs: gorgeous, feisty, and dangerous. Being with Patti is better than any high, and he can’t live without her.

     But Alexander’s not the only one who wants to be with Patti. Burke ruthlessly takes what he wants and will kill to protect what is his. And he won’t let Patti go without a fight. If Patti and Alexander are going to be together, their love will come at a steep price. Because some promises are meant to be broken, and not all debts can be paid in cash….


Cover: Like the simplicity of the cover.

This is going to be a hard book for me to review.
I'm not going to say that I hated this book, but I feel maybe it wasn't for me.
After finishing it I was so depressed.  The plot, the characters- all kinda brought me down.
I felt that Alex's 'love' for Patti was SO irrational.  It came out of nowhere.  And the whole insta-love thing is a bit of a pet peeve.
I'm all for YA tackling darker, grittier themes, but I feel this was TOO much for YA and was definitely more towards adult.  The sexual descriptions were disturbing, even for me at 21.
A lot of the music references were lost on me.  I feel they were meant to add some depth but fell flat for me.
The excessive swearing was irritating, I'm not a prude and don't mind reading swearing, but it was constant and was pointless.
I also didn't appreciate the meta moments of referencing himself and his novels in it.  
Over all this book just wasn't for me.
1.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment