Thursday 28 March 2013

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday and a different question is posted every week. 

Movies have a rating system to help guide the consumer weed out adult/violent/inappropriate knds of films. Video games do, too. Do you think BOOKS should have a ratings system?

This is a really interesting question.  I personally think books are so varied that it would be hard to put into any more categories than we already have- for example, YA, NA, ADULT, CONTEMPORARY, ROMANCE, etc.  So many books already cross over.

9 comments:

  1. I think it would be to subjective. What might shock some people would only maybe raise an eyebrow from another.

    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the problem. You can only pigeon hole books so much.

      Delete
  2. I think our categories now are enough.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/booking-through-thursday_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know it's hard when you find that one book has elements of three or four genres in them.
    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I wouldn't mind some type of content rating like they have with TV shows... Sometimes I find that the category labels as they are now don't tell me everything I need to know. My full response, as well as some extended discussion in the comments, can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not against one per say, just can't think of a simple enough way it could be achieved that would still encompass everything.

      Delete
    2. Its a slippery slope. Some may even go and try to not allow readers under a certain age from obtaining the book at all. Sure maybe do it for kids books, but once you get into young adult and adult so much of it is personal choice.

      Delete
  5. Its way too subjective, like the movie ratings are. And you get into censorship issues when this starts to happen.

    ReplyDelete