Tuesday 5 March 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Puffin Books
Published: 5 Jan 2012
Format: Paperback 400 pages

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Cover:  I think it's a universal opinion that this is one of the most beautiful and striking covers in YA.  It's the perfect cover for this futuristic, Cinderella-cyborg retelling.  I love the contrast between the sci-fi-esque leg, combined with the classic fairytale font. 


I've finally pick this up...a year later!  I don't know what has taken me so damn long because it was bloody brilliant.

I'm a big fan of fairytale re-tellings- but this one has blown them all out of the water.
The setting was incredible.  Most YA novels take place in the US, so to see this one being set in 'New Beijing' was so refreshing and original.
Making Cinderella part cyborg made her one of the most original and stand-out female protagonists that I've ever read.
I liked the there was a 'feel' of romance but it's extremely light, and is in no way the focus of the book, but I'd really like to see it develop in the later books, and I hope that Cinder will get her Prince.
I would say that I wish that we had more from Prince Kai's perspective.  I really liked his POV but we never get to read his thoughts on Cinder, which I really wanted.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to pick up book 2, Scarlet. 
5/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment