Monday 16 December 2013

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Paperback: 368 pages Publisher: Orion (2 Feb 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1409120538
ISBN-13: 978-1409120537
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "
Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.
What would he say . . .


Cover: A cute and bright cover.

Well.
Rainbow Rowell has EXPLODED on both Goodreads and BookTube. She has been EVERYWHERE. And I've heard outstanding things about her other two books, Eleanor & Park and Fangirl. But I thought I would start with her first adult nove, and then move on to her two YA novels.
This was definitely an interesting, fun, light, quirky read.
The concept of someone falling in love with someone just from reading their email was definitely interesting, and the premise kind of reminded me of of one of my favourite books, Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot.
I loved the banter between Jennifer and Beth, we all have that friend that we have crazy conversations with, and their humour in their emails was so funny, I instantly loved them.
Lincoln is such a sweety. After heartbreak his first year of college, he's found himself stuck in a rut- still living at home with his mother, and in a job he hates.
But while he hates himself for reading Beth's email, he finds himself falling in love her.
“Every woman wants a man who'll fall in love with her soul as well as her body.”
It started out great, but then the pacing really slowed up, where nothing much happened.
Then towards the end it really picked up again. But it did leave me wanting MORE from it. I wanted more of the romance element. I wanted to see more of Lincoln and Beth together. I wanted all of that build up to lead to something spectacular. But it just didn't.
Over all I loved the characters, the writing style, the humour, and the premise- but there was just a few kinks that I think just fell victim to first novel syndrome, but it hasn't put me off reading her other books.
4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment