Sunday 6 April 2014

Death Note Black Edition Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: VIZ Media; Black edition (20 Jan 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1421539640

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he\'s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal...or his life?

Cover: I LOVE this cover.  In person it's a velvet-buttery cover, and then just the pop of white for the image and the text.  LOVE IT.

It's very hard for me to review manga- I haven't reasd an awful lot of it, so I don't feel my opinion holds too much weight.  But I wanted to check out Death Note because two of my very good BookTube friends have read the series and loved it- so trusting their opinion- I was intrigued enough to want to read it.
But I can say I thoroughly enjoyed this.  The plot was fantastic - a Japanese Death God dropping a notebook into the human world, that when a human's name is written into the book, they die.
Light finds this notebook, and while at first he's hesitant to believe it's powers, he soon tests it.  When it works he decides to rid the world of evil, and to rule over a new, better world.  But soon the Police can see that so many criminals dying of supposed cardiac arrest is suspicious, and they recruit L, a crime solving whizz to track down the mysterious killer.
I was riveted from the start.  I loved the images, especially those of Ryuk, the Death God, he was really creepy looking.
It was really fast paced, and I loved that this edition has the first two books in one.  Light and L were really interesting characters.  Both were highly intelligent, but seeing Light's reasoning and madness-like approach to ridding the world of evil, yet surely becoming what it is he's killing was thrilling to read.
Highly recommend this is you've been thinking of picking it up, or trying a manga, like I did.
I'm really looking forward to picking up the next one.
5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment