Tuesday 23 June 2015

Grey (Fifty Shades #4) by E.L. James

    25644601
  • Paperback: 576 pages
  • Publisher: Arrow (18 Jun. 2015)
  • ISBN-10: 1784753254
  • ISBN-13: 978-1784753252
See the world of Fifty Shades of Grey anew through the eyes of Christian Grey.

In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams, E L James offers a fresh perspective on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the world.


Christian Grey exercises control in all things; his world is neat, disciplined, and utterly empty—until the day that Anastasia Steele falls into his office, in a tangle of shapely limbs and tumbling brown hair. He tries to forget her, but instead is swept up in a storm of emotion he cannot comprehend and cannot resist. Unlike any woman he has known before, shy, unworldly Ana seems to see right through him—past the business prodigy and the penthouse lifestyle to Christian’s cold, wounded heart.  

Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?


This book is intended for mature audiences.


Cover:  I like the cover of this one- but it doesn't really match the other books in the series as much as it could have.

I read the Fifty Shades trilogy back to back when it was released back in 2012- reading and reviewing all three books (Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed).  And I've made no bones about how much I enjoyed the series.  I know this series splits readers, it seems to be a marmite book- you either love it or you hate it.
Yes- I could pick it apart, find faults- if I wanted to.  But I just enjoyed the book for what it was.
I was surprised how quiet they managed to keep this book.  It was only announced at the beginning of the month, and then BAM!  The release date is the 18th of June, for Christian's birthday.  Not that I'm complaining.
So I was definitely intrigued and interested to have the infamous Mr Grey's perspective.  Whenever I read a novel, a romance novel in particular, I love to have both protagonists points of view, whether it's an adult, young adult or new adult novel.
So I  was definitely sucked right back into the world of Christian and Ana.
And I did love finally having his point of view.
Seeing more of his interesting relationship with Elena, and previous subs.
I feel some parts made it a tad hard to like him- and the almost crude way he thought of Ana, it came across as piggish in places, rather than sexy.
But I mostly liked seeing Ana get under his skin- scenes like the interview, dinner with his parents, and gliding were some standouts for me.
And of course seeing what he was up to when Ana wasn't around (as of course we got to see Christian when Ana was with him in Fifty Shades as she was narrating).
We get to see more of his childhood through his nightmares.

I've seen a lot of reviews saying it's a rehash of the first book.
Of course there's going to be a lot of the same material here- it's the same damn book. 
Of course the dialogue is going to be the same, and follow the same plot.
It's just his perspective that's different.

This is a must read for any Fifty Shades fan, and I really hope we get more of Christian's point of view.

4.5/5 stars.

Read from June 18 to 22, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment