Monday 9 January 2012

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

UK Cover
Received for review

  • Paperback: 400 pages


  • Publisher: MIRA (20 Dec 2011)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 1848450656
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848450653
  • What s the cost of a deal with the devil when you have the powers of a god? When Avry was growing up, Kazan was a prosperous land, rich in resources and served by a respected tribe of healers. Until the plague came. Developed by the poor territories to the north and west, the terrifying disease ravaged the people of Kazan and drove Avry s family away. Four years later, imprisoned for using her powers, Avry s beginning to lose hope, when a band of strange men break into her cell and steal her away. They need her special magic to save their prince. The Prince who ordered the plague s first release. Avry s freedom now rests on using her healing touch to save the very man who took away everything she loved...
US Cover
Cover: Both the UK and US covers of this book are stunning.  The US is 'prettier' with the pinks and purples but I prefer the UK cover, I feel that the darker, icy colours suit the dystopian plague ridden world of the fifteen realms AND shows Avry's inner strength whereas the US cover (to me) shows her as more of a fragile and delicate character, which she is not.


Plot: Avry is a healer.  A person gifted with the ability to heal the sick and injured.  Once they were revered and respected.  Now they're reviled.  They're blamed for the plague that ravaged the population.  Healers are now hunted and executed and it looks like Avry is the last one and is valuable to someone...and they're looking for her.


I have not read any of Marie V. Snyder's other books but I can say that based on this I want to, and soon!
As soon as I picked this up I was completely absorbed by the dystopian world with aspects of fantasy with a medieval feel to it-the world building was fantastic.
Avry is a wonderful protagonist- her healer nature makes her compassionate (despite people's feelings towards healers she can't see a child suffer) but she has a strong backbone (she learns to throw knives- which I loved).
This book was plot rich, full of action and intrigue.  
This book isn't heavy on the romance.  For most of the book they hate each other, the romance develops late but for me it works.
All the characters felt very different, all very 3D- no cookie cutout characters here.
I did tear up at one point (but will not spoil it).
Needless to say this book is a 5/5 star book for me.  Every single element worked and I fell in love with this world and will definitely check out the next Avry of Kazan novel when it's released in 2013 and I will be recommending this to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment