Friday 31 May 2013

The Scarlet Kimono by Christina Courtnay

Received for review
Paperback: 352 pages

  • Publisher: Choc Lit (1 Mar 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1906931291
  • ISBN-13: 978-1906931292
Abducted by a Samurai warlord in 17th-century Japan – what happens when fear turns to love?

England, 1611, and young Hannah Marston envies her brother’s adventurous life. But when she stows away on a merchant ship, her powers of endurance are stretched to their limit. Then they reach Japan and all her suffering seems worthwhile – until she is abducted by Taro Kumashiro’s warriors. 

In the far north of the country, samurai warlord Kumashiro is intrigued to learn more about the girl who he has been warned about by a seer. There’s a clash of cultures and wills, but they’re also fighting an instant attraction to each other. 

With her brother desperate to find her and the jealous Lady Reiko equally desperate to kill her, Hannah faces the greatest adventure of her life. And Kumashiro has to choose between love and compromising his honour …

Cover: Simply stunning.

After reading and loving The Gilded Fan I knew I wanted to read the prequel.
The Scarlet Kimono enthralled me just as much.  I loved seeing Japanese culture and traditions in the 17th century.
The romance between Taro and Hannah was incredibly endearing and I loved watching them overcome so many obstacles to be together.  And I loved that we got both their points of view, making for a well rounded story and definitely made me love both of them as characters.
Has to be one of my favourite ever historical romances.
Christina Courtnay is fantastic at creating the rich Japanese setting that made me feel as if I was there, watching the whole story play out.
I felt the beginning was much slower than in The Gilded Fan, while a lot of background was necessary, the two protagonists didn't even meet until 120 pages in.

This is without doubt a must read for all historical romance fans!  I can't praise it enough!

5/5 stars!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds so good. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this lovely review - I'm really pleased you enjoyed both The Scarlet Kimono and The Gilded Fan!

    ReplyDelete