Tuesday 11 October 2011

Love Like A Dog by Anne Calcagno


  • Received from author
  • Paperback: 236 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace (June 10, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1452834989
  • ISBN-13: 978-1452834986
This debut novel is a page-turning drama about familial devotion. Set in contemporary Chicago, it is the harrowing story of Dirk, a young motherless man starved for his self-centered father’s approval. A rescued pit bull alters their lives irrevocably, embroiling them in the terrible misuses to which the breed is prey. As Dirk’s father becomes entangled in criminal activity, Dirk must quickly come to terms with a series of legal and moral crises and determine for himself what it truly means to be a man.



Winner of Three Awards!

First place in First Novel from “New Generation Indie Awards”
Finalist in Animals/Pets Books category

Bronze Metal in Fiction for the Great Lakes Region from the Independent Book Publisher Awards 15th Anniversary
Honorable Mention in General Fiction category in the San Francisco Book Festival



From lovelikeadog.net

Everyone should read this book...


Cover:  The cover is what first drew me to this book.  It reminds me of my dog- so I LOVE it.


Plot: Dirk was seven when his dad found a pitbull puppy.  It changed his life- gave him a purpose and a friend, helping shape the young man he becomes.
But his father is corrupted, falling in with people that take the pitbull's staunch loyalty and use it for their own gain, for sport.


Anna Calcagno and her dog.
I wanted to read this book because like Anna Calcagno I believe in 'punish the deed not the breed'.  I know bull breeds are loving, loyal dogs but the wrong people have them for the wrong reasons and then BAM!  The media portray them as killers.  The owners are to blame, not the dogs.  It's unfair to them.
So I wanted to read this because Anna has a bull breed herself, so knows and understands these dogs, and how great they can be.
I loved this book.  It was great to read a book that expressed how wonderful these dogs are (I would read Bull's Eye or Poncho's antics and smile thinking 'Yup my dog does exactly that) whilst not ignoring the dark side of these dogs, how they're wickedly misused.


Dirk was a wonderful character, I really felt for him.  His love of his dogs was so clear.  His father Russ, oh how I wanted to reach through the pages, slap him and tell him what for.  His ignorance, arrogance and hard headedness made me want to scream.  He would not listen to reason.  His moral fibre steadily declines in this book until he is one ugly character.
Definitely a 5/5 star book.  Wonderfully written, even if sometimes the dogs poor conditions after dog fighting were hard to read about.  Perfect for those that already love these dogs or for those that are wary or uncertain of them must read this book.  I hope that more people do read this book and then maybe these misunderstood will finally be understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment