Monday 13 February 2012

The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith


  • Hardcover: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Headline (5 Jan 2012)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0755392175
  • ISBN-13: 978-0755392179

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn't forgotten the book. Or if there hadn't been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn't fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she'd run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?

Hadley isn't sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it's the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...

Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Cover: I LOVE this cover!  As you all know I am a sucker for romance, and so this airport-kiss-scene just makes me go awwwwwww.

Plot: Hadley doesn't want to go to her father's wedding.  Her mum practically has to force her to the airport.  But she still manages to miss her flight by four minutes.  Of course she's not all that bothered and has to get the next one.  But she meets Oliver, and missing her plane by four minutes may have lead her to true love...

I had been seeing this book everywhere, and it sounded super cute so I decided to check it out.  What really intrigued me is that the whole book takes place in just 24 hours, so I wanted to see if the 'love at first sight' could be pulled off.
For me this book is a 3.5/5 stars.  While I was reading I did enjoy the book, and it really fast paced (being only 214 pages) but for me I was just left needing a little bit something more.  The characters connection was great, I definitely felt that spark of true love but then the end fell a little flat.
Hadley was a really convincing character.  She's angry and her dad for leaving, which came off as real.
Oliver was a sweet guy.  An intelligent gentleman, and I'm a little in love with him myself, truth be known.
Overall I feel like the character WERE in love, but the execution left me wanting.  I think, for me, the book would have been enriched if it alternated perspectives between Hadley and Oliver, like in Perfect Chemistry for example, so we get a better all-round picture of what BOTH characters are really feeling.
I would recommend this for die-hard contemporary fans, but otherwise I don't feel it is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment