Thursday 2 February 2012

Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling

Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: OUP Oxford (1 Sep 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0192756583
ISBN-13: 978-0192756589

This is about getting you out...I'm stealing you.

Phoenix belongs to the Community - a gang of thieves with paranormal powers. Yves Benedict - an American student visiting London - is her mark. But Yves turns out to be more than just a target. He is her destiny. Her soulmate. But the Community owns Phoenix's past and it wants her future too.


Cover:  The cover is ok.  I don't love and I don't hate it.  The symbolism is great-Phoenix rising from the ashes, with not only her name but also Yves savant ability.

Plot:  Phoenix thought he was an ordinary mark.  She'd carry out the Seer's orders, steal the guy's stuff and that would be it.  She was wrong.  It was far more complicated than that, and Yves is her soul finder.  That fairy tale other half of her.  But Phoenix belongs to the community and are not going to let her go...and she might end up dragging Yves down with her because he won't let her go.

This was quite a short book but the character development is really great for the protagonist Phoenix.
I loved the first book Finding Sky, it stood out against other paranormal YA and the romance between Sky and Zed was great.  However as much as I loved Yves and Phoenix I didn't think there was enough romance between the two of them considering there are supposed to be soulfinders.  That left the whole book lacking for me.  Having said that I did enjoy the book, Phoenix past and life in the community were intriguing but I can only give the book 3.5/5 stars because the key element was missing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment